Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Deli and the Drummer

I just got asked out for a drink by the one Deli guy who works in the building across the way from where I work. The regular guy that is behind the counter was there too, but this guy I hadn't seen before. So I walk in and he gives the flirtatious smile and the "Hi, how you doin', beautiful?" It's cheesy, but I still can't help but blush a little (I am such a dope). I ask him how he is, and he says "Better now that you're here." Now I'm still blushing a little but also rolling my eyes. Anyway, after he makes my sandwich he asks me if I ever go out for drinks after work on Friday's - I say yes and so he asks me to get a drink with him sometime. I say yes. I figure, sure, why not. After all, he is kind of cute (and I can't deny that the knowledge that he's a musician of some sort - and not just a guy who works behind a deli counter - is kinda of sexy - see below* for more about that). So I walk over to the checkout and say hi to the woman that works the register and who I often make small talk with when I go down there. I also tell her that the deli guy asked me out? She and the other woman behind the counter laugh and the one asks if I mind if she makes fun of him - I, of course, say go right ahead! The other woman asks me what I said and I tell her I said sure, why not? She tells me to definitely go for it. But here's the rub. Then the other woman says - he has a girlfriend though. Ugh. Of course he does. I tell her that now she should make fun of him AND scold him for being a bad boy. Still, the whole thing did make me smile, even if I don't get a drink and a date story out of it!

*So while he is making my sandwich and I notice the t-shirt he's got under his deli coat thingy-ma-jig and in the interest of making polite conversation (and small talk, cause is actually is kind of cute) I say "Will drum for food, 'ey?" (if you didn't pick that up already, that's what the t-shirt said). He's says "yeah, I've been drumming for 20 years now." Now a statement like this gets me thinking a few things: I wonder how old he is? Is that dating him? Is this 20 years as an adult or 20 years total? Does he wear a shirt like that just to pick up chicks who are supposed to be impressed that he's a musician? I don't like it if that was his intention, although I'm a complete hypocrite because like many girls, yeah, I find musicians to be sexy. Well, at least if they are good and not TOO cocky about it. But drummers are trouble. Drummers are almost ALWAYS trouble. So are singers - they get too cocky (though I did date one for awhile, who really wasn't cocky at all). Bassists - they are ones that are supposed to be best to date. Less interested in the spotlight. Also less competition - less people throwing themselves at them. With that said, I think my next post will be about dating guys in bands...

No comments:

Post a Comment