Monday, January 25, 2010

More Craigslist Fun

The Listing:

philadelphia craigslist > personals > men seeking women

In Philly on business - 35 (center city)

"Can anyone recommend a place for a hip, slender, baby faced and down to earth guy to get a drink?

Will you join me for a drink there?

Make the answer the subject of your email."

(All my Responses in Bold/Italic)

I suggest a bar. Our city has lots of them ;)

I see...very good point. Any particular bar?

That depends on where and what type of place you are looking for - also price range.

So why the baby-face comment? You're older than 35 aren't you? Just think you look or do look closer to 35. Either that or your hoping to meet a young college girl who thinks 35 is old ;)


Ah, I think I missed that part of your email. I'm looking for the type of place where 2 people can have a nice quiet conversation. Think intimate.

The baby-face comment was intended to be taken at face value. I do look younger than I am.

I do tend to go for younger women but that was not the reason for the comment.

"Intimate", huh? Ha.

Intimate conversation.

So basically you want to either: A - Talk dirty with someone in a bar or B - Have the kind of conversation someone would normally have with their therapist ;)

Oh boy. You are too much.

So, what prompted you to write?

Boredom, mostly, plus the possibility of getting a free drink or two, if you want me to be completely honest - ha.

How flattering. So you "expect" a drink but don't "expect" to provide anything in return. Interesting.

I never said I expected a drink, I said that's the best case scenario - especially as you are asking someone to meet you out, I was planning to go out for a happy hour drink as it was, if we got along and you decided to buy me another drink, it would be appreciated. I wouldn't go if I EXPECTED a drink and I didn't want to get one as it was. You asked for best case scenario, I was honest, that was not an expectation.

And I "expect" to find good company. Best case scenario would also be that the nice gentleman I meet is indeed a gentleman who doesn't "expect" to get something from a woman just because he buys her a $7 glass of wine.

aha!

I worded that wrong - I don't even "expect" good company, I would HOPE for good company. In addition, if you found me terribly uninteresting, I'd assume you wouldn't even consider buying me a drink - and if I found you creepy and irritating, I wouldn't want you to buy me a drink.

So then it doesn't even matter if I am a woman.

Well no, I suppose it wouldn't matter, but I would be confused as to why you posted in men seeking women rather than strictly platonic or woman for woman (if you happened to be a lesbian) and why you referred to yourself as a guy.

And I would wonder why you didn't respond to a strictly platonic ad or a woman for woman ad.

Well, probably because I was reading the men seeking women section and you referred to yourself as a guy. What would you be wondering about? I'd certainly ask why she was posing as a guy and make it clear that I'm not into girls that way, but that is she wanted to meet for a friendly drink, sure, why the heck not.

Okay, then. Absolutely no expectations!

Would a gentleman decline to buy a girl a drink based on how interesting he found her? That sounds like a quid pro quo. And we don't do that in this intimate setting of ours!

A gentleman could decline to buy a girl a drink regardless of whether or not he found her attractive or interesting, it's a nice gesture to do so, but certainly not required. What's not gentlemanly is buying a girl a drink or dinner and then expecting that she owes him something sexual in return.

I'd be wondering why she would want to meet a guy from the men seeking women section who is from out of town when she did not want any after bar festivities. And if she does not believe in after bar festivities why it matters if she is into guys or girls and looking for a man when she could just as easily be looking for a robot for intimate conversation.

Why does someone need "after bar activities" or "intimate conversation" from a stranger? If I was travelling for business and knew no one in town and was bored and didn't know where a good place to go was, I would certainly post an ad on craigslist in the women seeking men section (because women seeking men and men seeking women get a lot more views) just for the company. Why not? Also, the women for men and men for women sections - though many people turn them into this - are not supposed to be for sexual encounters - there are other sections for that - mainly the "casual encounters" section.

(I didn't say this to him, but where in the world did the "robot for intimate conversation" come in??)

True. The gentleman could still hope that there would be something sexual and not expect it and still be a gentleman. Just as the lady could hope he buys her a drink and not expect it and still be a lady. I think these are both reasonable hopes for a great night with its foundation in the man for woman section.

Someone doesn't need it any more than someone else needing another person to buy her a drink. Or vice versa. Maybe I'll want you to buy me a drink and you'll want to get in my pants. Why are gender based generalizations necessary?

Who are we to judge what a particular section is for?

(At this point I told him I was leaving for happy hour - he said enjoy, and my final reply...)

May you find your intimate conversation, if all else fails, try chinatown. There are plenty of places there for "intimacy." You'll have to pay for a massage though, and I can't vouch for the conversation. Don't be mad, had to say it, all in good fun - seriously though, enjoy your time in Philly.

No comments:

Post a Comment