Monday, November 9, 2009

Roses From the Wrong Man

This happened to me recently - no roses, but still. I always think I want to have a guy be smitten over me but the problem is, when it happens (and it only does rarely), it's always been with a guy with whom, no matter how hard I try, I just can't return those feelings. The absolute worst is trying to tell them that it's not just that you are not sure that's it's right, it's that you know that it isn't. I've only really had to do this twice, thank god, and both times it's just crushed me, but I knew I had to do it because both were SUCH nice guys and though I tried to give it a chance I realized fairly quickly that romantic feeling just weren't going to develop and it wouldn't have been fair to lead them on or to just disappear. I guess I hate it too because it's been me on the other end so many times and I know damn well how much it can hurt. In a way, this is part of the reason I think I've been broken up with more than I've broken up with people - I've has situations where I've stuck it out to the point where I'm kind of relieved when it happens mostly so that I don't have to be the one to do it. But that was never the right way to deal with things and although it's harder, I guess I'm glad that I'm now better able to say - this isn't right, lets end it before anyone gets REALLY hurt. Anyway, this song kind of says it all:

"Roses From the Wrong Man" by Christine Lavin

She opened the door, surprised to see a deliveryman
Holding a beautiful vase of roses in his hands.
"For me?" she said; he nodded his head.
She took the flowers in and read the note.

(Chorus)
Roses from the wrong man;
Poetry written in the wrong hand.
She waits for one; she hears from another
Who tells her how much he loves her
With roses from the wrong man.

She places the vase in the middle of the living room.
The air is scented with the delicate sweet perfume.
She takes a deep breath, closes her eyes,
Shakes her head slowly and sighs.

(Chorus)

How long can she hold out for someone who might never come around?
And how many times will this other man try when she keeps turning him down?
She's not getting any younger, but she don't want to settle for less.
Oh, how can such a pretty bunch of flowers trigger such deep unhappiness?

Ever since she was 11 or 12 it was her dream
To receive the kind of flowers carried by the homecoming queen.
And sometimes dreams can come true
In ways you don't expect them to.
Sometimes dreams can come true
In ways you don't want them to.
Roses from the wrong man.

No comments:

Post a Comment