Monday, November 23, 2009

New Series: Hey, at least I got a free dinner (and drinks!)

So I meet this guy, K, at National Mechanics one night. He's sitting there alone, looking bored and every once in awhile trying (fairly unsuccessfully) to ask the pretty bartender about whether or not she has read a story he apparently sent her. She says no with a look on her face like "for god's sake leave me alone!" I'm bored and waiting for someone and the two of us start talking. Before he leaves he asks for my number and asks if I would like to go out for dinner sometime. He seems nice enough and kind of cute so of course I say yes. Eventually (and to my surprise) he actually does call and confirms our date. We decide to meet at Zento, my favorite sushi place in Old City. While the conversation flows pretty well, he starts it off (and most of it ends up being) about his past dating life and in ways I already feel like we've drifted into more of a friend mode, with me basically playing the therapist. Though it's pretty obvious to me that he's not feeling it all that much with me, nor me with him, we are still having a fine time and we decide to go over to National Mechanics to watch the Phillies. On the way over he starts talking about the bartender that I saw him talking to (and being ignored by) on the night we met. he starts off about how she is so beautiful and great and they've talked a lot and have this amzing connection and she is just beautiful and incredible but she has a boyfriend and the only reason she was ignoring him was because she is afraid of the intensity of her feelings towards him and doesn't think she can really talk to him because of her boyfriend but he knows she's into him because someone has told him. This goes on for pretty much the whole two blocks as we are walking to National Mechanics. Now sure, I knew this probably wasn't going to go anywhere with him, but come on, we are still on a date and you are spending all this time telling me about how great this other woman is and how beautiful she is and how perfect she is to you? I mean, what am I, a consolation prize? I'm the girl you go on a date with because the one you really want has a boyfriend? Plus, talk about being delusional - I highly doubt that she is secretly in love with him and only ignores him because "her feelings towards him are so strong," or whatever. So we're almost there and he sees that I'm a little hurt/pissed and he says - "I guess that was kind of rude, huh?" and I'm like, "kind of rude? You just spent the past few minutes gushing about how wonderful this other girl is - TO YOUR DATE!" Anyway, he apologizes again and asks if he should just go home and (yell at me for this if you want, but I think it's only fair) I say (sort of teasing, but mostly not) that we both want to see the game and it probably wasn't going to work out between us anyway but if he's going to stay, he at least better be buying me drinks! Ha. Anyway, he says that's only fair and, though I'm not exactly the friendliest to him while we're there, at least at first, I figure I might as well just enjoy myself - plus, as I even told him, at the very least it was good blog material!

No comments:

Post a Comment